Friday, May 04, 2007

Hiding in the Spotlight

What to write today?

So many months have gone by, so many events transpired since I last write in this online journal. Alas, I have finally decided that it is time. Goodbye, blogger!

Surely I jest. :)

I'll write about my Practical Work Experience (admissions student worker) and courses in posts to come, but today I think I will simply write about stage freight. But one of a different sort.

See, this year I joined Earthen Vessels, PRBI's drama tour team. Of course, having spent the last several years in chapels at Sagitawa, I thought I had it all together. I thought I could objectify any persona to perfection, take on any face without it ever affecting me. With all my experience, I never thought I would be afraid of standing on stage ... but still I hid.

Acting demands emotion. When I step onstage, faking what emotions my character must portray is the last thing on my mind. No, I draw from what I have felt. I become the character. As a result, the stage becomes the one place where I can be completely vulnerable with people, displaying precisely how I think and feel without them ever picking up on my genuineness.

They all think I'm acting.

This year, God has been challenging me to be real with those around me. I have swallowed much fear of rejection by girls. I have gone evangelizing with groups of friends from the school quite a few times. And as I began to focus on the eternal rather than the immediate, drama for me became less of an opportunity to vent and more of a hobby.

I don't want to hide in the spotlight any longer.

1 Comments:

At 1:53 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Derek!! It's good to see you back writing again!!

It is good to see what God had done in your life over the past several months. If you want to read a good book that deals with some of the stuff that God is teaching you check out "Your God is Too Safe" my Mark Buchanan. Here is a little bit of what this book is about.


"Here's a thoughtful, probing exploration of why Christians get stuck in the place of complacency, dryness, and tedium -- and how to move on to new levels of spiritual passion! Buchanan shows how the majority of Christians begin their spiritual journey with excitement and enthusiasm -- only to get bogged down in a "borderland" -- an in-between space beyond the "old life" but short of the abundant, adventurous existence promised by Jesus. Citing Jonah, he examines the problem of "borderland living" -- where doubt, disappointment, guilt, and wonderlessness keep people in a quagmire of mediocrity -- then offers solutions ... effective ways to get unstuck and move into a bold, unpredictable, exhilarating walk with Christ."

Anyways. I'll look forward to reading more from you in the future!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home