Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Decisions, decisions..

To do, or not to do? What to do? What ever to do? Who knows what to do? How do I know what to do? These is the question.

I've been back at PRBI now for almost three months, and I'm finding out just how much harder than freshman second year is. Classes require far more brain powers. Papers are bigger and tougher and frequenter. Sometimes I even wish I had God for one of my markers. Maybe He'd give out more mercy.

Maybe I'm just thinking too wishfully. Or too hard.

Greek Grammar is going better than I'd ever anticipated. It's one of my highest marks this year. I rationalize that I'm a brick-knowledge type of person. Give me information, and I'll retain it. Ask me to craft a paper, on the other hand, and, well, that's a different story.

I'm also considering switching from a Christian Ministries major to that of Linguistics. It will require a total of five years in school, since I've taken so many courses irrelevant to the major, but I think God might be directing me that way. Ever since Global Ministries Conference weekend, I've been thinking hard about translation work. Maybe it had something to do with that list of two and a half thousand tribal tongues still unwritten.

I think maybe I should go into literacy/linguistics. Makes my head spin. Especially when I consider the agonizing tears and tantrums I so elegantly displayed for my mom in elementary. And junior high... Ok, I did them in high school too.

That everybody else seems to base their schooling on their life goals doesn't help, either. The advice I receive is generally, "tell me what you want to do, and I'll tell you what degree you need to get there." But I don't operate that way. My interests are too broad. Everything is too wonderful to pass up. I wish I could base the rest of my life off what I do in college. If only others thought the same way.

Good thing I'm staying calm through all this. Stress would be lame.

2 Comments:

At 12:50 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

My advice... don't worry about what you are going to do with a degree once you get it. Take the degree because it is something that you are intersted in. If you love learning, then learn for the sake of knowledge. We don't necessaryily have to always apply what we learned to out lives. Sometime we just need to do it for the simple reason of, because I love to do it.


Merry Christmas

 
At 12:15 AM, Blogger Sari said...

Whatever you do, Derek, remember that whatever you do take is going to be beneficial to you :)
God'll use what you do, and He will be faithful in guiding you to where He wants you. :)

God bless, Derek

 

Post a Comment

<< Home