Saturday, November 24, 2007

Think about barf.

I could begin this post by commenting, in playful mockery, just how long I have stayed away from Blogger. But such a beginning would be both eccentric and wordy. So instead I will begin the post addressing how, hypothetically, I could have begun the post. There, that's much better.

Where do emotions come from? In my favorite class this semester, People Helping, we have been dissecting the human mind and its effect on emotions. Basically, our thoughts determine our emotions. Self-talk often comes and goes so quickly that we do not even recognize it. Often we even tell ourselves complete lies.

Alas, our emotive part is much stronger than our cognitive part. Once we are in a mood, it becomes infinitely more difficult to stop and ask why we are in that mood; we just don't feel like it. We would rather float lazily in our self-pitied victim mentality. Because we do not stop to analyze our self-talk thoughts, these lies quickly dominate us, and the emotions they bring molest us, until, like a satirical Ecclesiastical vice, we succumb to the numbness that such a defeatist attitude brings. We would never admit that we believe such absurdity, of course, but underneath all our trite Christianese, there is some semblance of Nihilism: life is meaningless.

In the end, we become victims of our own bologna. Now technically, that could be written as a pun--but that would be almost as pathetic and miserable as the beginning of this post.

When we stop, analyze and write down what is actually going on in our minds, does it not sound horrendous? I wonder what other lies thrive within?

Therefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and rest your hope fully upon the grace that is to be brought to you at the revelation of Jesus Christ; as obedient children, not conforming yourselves to the former lusts, as in your ignorance; but as He who called you is holy, you also be holy in all your conduct, because it is written, "Be holy, for I am holy."
~ 1 Pet. 1:13-16

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home