Thursday, February 03, 2005

God knows it exactly.

In my life, all the strife is getting in the way;
Frankly, I did not plan on getting hurt today.
From Your chair in the clouds,
Benevolent are Your ways.
While the beggar bleeds, the children play
Everyone wants to know: why?
Isn't it always the question?
How do You know my conditon?

You came down to me to know what it's like;
To know what it's like to hurt.
You came down to me to know what it's like;
To know just what it's like to
Be me; to be us.

In the wake of the last decades and centuries past,
Who's to blame for this mess?
And who's gonna take the rap?
We're quick to judge and discard
A God who lets you choose whom and what to love..
Isn't it always the question?
Do You really know my position?

You came down to me to know what it's like;
To know what it's like to hurt.
You came down to me to know what it's like;
To know just what it's like to
Be me; to be us;
To be one with the dust and to be lost..to be found.
        ~Downhere, "What it's Like"


I often wonder about Jesus. Just how much of what I've experienced has He also experienced? Obviously, He is completely oblivious to what it's like to sin; to disobey. But what about other things? Was He ever oblivious to a piece of God's plan? Did He ask God, "why aren't You answering Me?"

Psalm 22:1 foreshadows a few of the words Jesus spoke: "My God, My God - Why have You forsaken Me?" Was that a sincere prayer? Did He really not know why God had left Him? Did Jesus actually feel abandoned? or did He simply echo David's words for the prophecy's sake? I believe that Jesus really did feel the anguish of betrayal, not only from one of his closest friends, but also from His Father. And He had to ask why?

As I've said many times before, I'm going through a difficult period right now. It seems that for five minutes, God is right there beside me. And then, I feel hopelessly abandoned. It is a relief to know that my family and friends also understand what it's like to feel abandoned by God. But the fact that Jesus went through it all first-hand (and came out of the experience quite alive and well) means oh, so much more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home