Saturday, January 15, 2005

"...how does it affect you guys anyway?"

I got that question this summer. The topic: when girls dress skimpily. A cabin of five girls put it on a question sheet, and asked around. Most guys anonymously wrote their answer down on the piece of paper, but I chose to do a personal interview. And I answered ... honestly. I told them, "when guys see girls NOT wearing more than they ARE wearing, our minds go in the gutter ... a good 95% of the time."

I even asked a question to try to help them see it from a guy's perspective.. I asked, "how would you girls respond if your brothers all suddenly started walking around in their underwear? Would it offend you?" They laughed rolled their eyes, and answered, "no! Why would it??"

I felt like a fool for asking.

And that's just it: most girls have absolutely no idea where the average male mind will go when given the opportunity. And I'm neither judging girls nor excusing guys ... it's just a fact: girls don't know. My point in creating my previous post was simply to alert them, in honesty. Because quite honestly - how can we even ask girls to help us if they are completely clueless?

About a week after that 'interview,' I asked one particular girl if she had learned anything from it ... anything ... that she didn't know before. She pointed out that she had never even thought that a guy's mind could go down the gutter simply because of the way a girl was dressed! She said that she would never again wear a bikini to a swimming pool.... YAY!!

David, I recognize you weren't accusing me of making insinuations ... nor making them yourself. Like you, I'm not pointing fingers with this post, or anything like that ... just call it rambling.

It's not girls' fault that guys deal with lust on such a regular basis. It's not their fault if they don't know. And it's definitely not right to blame them for our problem. But ... if a girl wants to help, but doesn't know how to help ... how can she?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home