Why [not] me?
A read of Ken's post today got me thinking about a predicament that's ... rather strange. Life is fragile. As are our bodies, our minds, our emotions. Cancer invades; Alzheimers degrades; weeping pervades. And so the far too popular saying goes, "Life sucks. Get used to it."Yet so many people refuse to accept this statement. Their question becomes, "why do bad things happen to good people?" or even simpler, "why do bad things happen?" I propose a unique twist: "why do some people just have it good?"
During last summer (2004) at camp, I found out some tough stuff. A girl, who's always had it tough, went home to find out that her mom's um-teenth boyfriend had committed suicide. To make matters worse, this man was the only one the girl had ever felt she could really connect with. The person who told me said, "I'm having quite a conversation with God right now, and a lot of it is revolving around the question 'why?'"
I walked away, not really sure what to say. I mean, there were many things I could have said. "Pray about it" ... "God knows what He's doing" ... "Everything works out for good in the end" ... but those are all cliches. And I hate cliches; they never really help. They're the lazy way of solving problems. They're like putting a band-aid over a nail gone through a foot. You don't need a kiss-it-all-better; you need the nail out. And then time to heal.
So I said nothing. As I walked away, however, all I could think was to ask, "why?" Except I asked, "why did this have to happen to this girl? Why not me?" Why can I count the number of funerals I've ever attended on one hand? Why are my parents still together? Why am I free of any terminal illnesses, medical conditions or even allergies (so far as I know)? Why me? Why ... not me?
I've tried, but I just can't come up with any answers. Why do I deserve this special treatment? What makes me so special?

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home